Thomas Glynn was born July 12, 1932 to Tom and Pauline Glynn. He grew up with his brother Jack and many other relatives from Ireland on the south side of Chicago. His love for education drew him to a career in teaching. While teaching at a boarding school on the northwest side of Chicago, Fr. Tom meet Fr. Shary, then pastor of St. Joseph Parish. It was through his friendship with Fr. Shary that Fr. Tom learned and felt a calling to join the priesthood in the Ukrainian Catholic Church.
Fr. Tom entered Catholic University and St. Josaphat Seminary in Washington DC, in 1960. On March 29, 1964, Fr. Tom became the first priest ordained to the newly established St. Nicholas Eparchy by the first Bishop Jaroslaw Gabro. After his ordination, he remained at St. Nicholas Parish until 1967.
In 1984 Fr. Tom moved to Detroit where he earned a Master’s Degree in Chemical Dependency. He was also completed Certification as Social Worker.
On June 1, 1989, Fr. Tom returned to Chicago to serve at St. Joseph Parish, during which he established an English Language Bible study Group, coordinated the local Alcoholics Anonymous group, and has written extensively on the subject of Eastern Christian Spirituality, focusing on the liturgical calendar.
On September 25, 2012, Fr. Tom entered into eternal life after complications from a sudden bout of pneumonia.
Pavlo Denys Hayda was born in Battle Creek, Michigan on October 22, 1964 to Roma and Ihor Hayda. He grew up with three older siblings, Borys, Marko and Roman.
In 1982 Fr. Pavlo entered St. Basil’s College Seminary in Stamford, Connecticut where he completed his Bachelor of Arts Degree in Philosophy. After completing his studies at St. Basil’s, he entered the St. Sophia Seminary for Priestly Formation and began his Master’s Studies at Catholic Theological Union in Chicago. It was through his work at Sts. Volodymyr and Olha Parish that he met his wife Christine. They married in May 1991.
Without a free church in Ukraine, there was great difficulty for a married man to be ordained. After a brief visit with Archbishop Volodymyr Sterniuk in Chicago, Fr. Pavlo and his wife accepted an invitation to live and work in Ukraine. By the grace of God and the hand of Patriarch Myroslav Ivan Lubachivsky, Pavlo Denys Hayda was ordained to the holy priesthood in St. George’s Cathedral on March 29, 1992. Ordination at St. George’s Cathedral is not only significant for Fr. Pavlo because it is the seat of the worldwide Ukrainian Catholic Church, but also because his grandfather, Jaroslav Kniahynyckyj was also ordained in St. George’s Cathedral 65 years earlier, by the hand of Metropolitain Andrej Sheptytskyj. Notably, he was the first priest to be legally ordained in Ukraine following the collapse of the Soviet Union and emergence of the Church from the underground. Within days of his ordination, Fr. Pavlo was assigned to his first parish. St. Paraskevia in Kalynivka, Ukraine. Unfortunately, this assignment was brief, for shortly before the birth of their first son Julian, Fr. Pavlo returned to Chicago.
By July 1995, change was again in the air. The day after the baptism of their second son Zachary, Fr. Pavlo and his family moved to St. Joseph Parish on the northwest side of Chicago. In 2004, two new members were born into the Hayda family, twin sons, Elias and Dymytrij.
His service at St. Joseph Parish was very active, in particular with the re-activation of the Sts. Cyril and Methodius Youth Group and the completion of the interior painting of the church. In addition to parish work, Fr. Pavlo worked within the St. Nicholas Eparchy and community, by actively organizing Eparchial Conferences, clergy retreats holding the position of Presbyteral Council member, teaching religion at St. Joseph Ukrainian Saturday School, and working the the Chicago and Cleveland Plast Ukrainain Scouts.
On September 4, 2007 Fr. Pavlo while riding his bicycle he collided with an SUV and went to his eternal resting place. On September 7, 2007 Fr. Pavlo’s body lay in state under the main dome of the Church where an estimated 4,000 people filed past his casket over the course of the two days of visitation and priestly funeral services. He was interred at St. Nicholas Ukrainain Catholic Cemetery escourted by an Honor Guard from The Ukrainian American Veterans, the Knights of Columbus, and Ukrainian Scouting Organization, Plast, on September 8, 2007.
Msgr. William Bilinsky was born in Brooklyn, NY on December 20, 1939. Fr. William graduated from St. Basil’s College, Stamford, CT in 1961 and completed his theological studies at The Catholic University of America with a Licentiate in Sacred Theology. He was ordained a priest on February 2, 1965 by Bishop Jaroslav Gabro. He was named a monsignor by Pope Paul VI in 1976 and was bestowed the title of Canon by Patriarch Josyf Slipyj in 1973.
Apart from his assignment at St. Joseph Parish he served as associate pastor of St. Nicholas Cathedral, worked as a therapist for clergy, religious, and laity of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New Orleans, worked many posts in the eparchial administration, and served as Eparchial Administrator following the death
of Bishop Gabro. He retired on October 1, 2001.
He was pastor of St. Joseph Parish from January 1, 1982 – February, 1983 and again from March, 1987 – July, 1995. During his pastorate, a rectory was constructed, the old church renovated and an Iconostas was installed in the church.
A sought after preacher and lecturer, he still conducts missions and retreats. He has also lectured extensively on end of life issues and addiction. He joined the staff of the Resurrection Health Care system in 1995. He was also Director of Clinical Ethics for that health care system.
He currently assists at Mary, Queen of Peace Roman Catholic Church in Mandeville, LA as well as at several other North Shore churches. He is also spiritual director as well as the therapist on call for St. Joseph Seminary College, St. Benedict, LA.
Born in Toronto, ONT, Canada, Fr. Mykhailo was ordained in 1981. He is married to Oksana (Kocur) and they have six children, Andrea, Olena, Joseph, Jurij, Maria and Anna, and two grandchildren. Before coming to St.Joseph Fr. Mykhajlo served at Sts. Volodymyr and Olha and St. Nicholas Cathedral, in Chicago. After St. Joseph, he went on to serve as pastor in Mishiwaka, IN, until 1995. He then returned to Illinois where he is currently serving as Pastor at Immaculate Conception Parish in Palatine.
Fr. Andriy was born in 1956 in New Jersey. He is the Founding Director of the Sheptytsky Institute and is the Peter and Doris Kule Professor of Eastern Christian Theology and Spirituality. He has a special interest in the spiritual life of Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky, on whom he wrote his master’s and doctoral theses. Fr. Andriy was ordained a Ukrainian Catholic priest by the confessor of faith Patriarch Josyf Slipyj in Castelgandolfo, in 1980, and elevated to the rank of Mitred Archpriest in August, 2005. He is married to Halyna (Pawlyshyn), and they have two children, Sophia and Alexander.
A native of New Jersey, Fr. Joseph Shary, the founder of St. Joseph the Betrothed parish was born in 1927, a descendent of first-wave Ukrainian immigrants. Immediately after being ordained to the Holy Priesthood in 1950 at the cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in Philladelphia, Fr. Shary came to Chicago to help build the rapidly expanding Ukrainian Catholic community. Following his establishment of St. Joseph parish, Fr. Shary went on to found at least three more parishes, that of St. Josaphat in Munster, Indiana, the Immaculate Conception in Palatine, Illinois, and St. John in Detroit. Fr. Shary spent a majority of his priestly life at St. Joseph, however, and was the primary catalyst for the building of the new church building. Fr. Shary fell asleep in the Lord in September of 1989 while pastor of St. John’s parish in Detroit. He was buried at his family’s cemetery plot in Elizabeth, New Jersey.